Earth Peoples facilitated transport and accomodation at Kilmaforum during the Climate Changeconference (16th Conference of the Parties - COP 16) in Mexico, for indigenous Elders from Maya communities in state Quintana Roo. The 4 day information sharing gathering between Earth Peoples partners and the Elders resulted in the Climate Change Declaration of the Maya Elders from Quintana Roo, that was widely published in national newspapers and broadcasted on national TV.
November 27th 2010
Declaration from the ELDER CIRCLE of the Indigenous Peoples Maya,
at Klimaforum10, Puerto Morelos, Quintana Roo, Mexico
Shared vision of our knowledge and of our feelings about the UN Conference of Climate Change
The Maya communities of the state of Quintana Roo, México: Tihosuco, Chan-chen primero y Dos Ojos (Ejido Jacinto Pat).
1. We, like all of the indigenous peoples of the world, are the guardians and protectors of Mother Earth, which cannot be sold, given away, nor rented, because she belongs to everyone and not just to a few.
2. We demand that the governments respect our traditional knowledge, for example: Coexisting in harmony with Mother Earth, with responsibility and justice.
3. As native peoples we feel defrauded and marginalized by the lack of respect for our rights, that’s why we demand: No to discrimination, and the dispossession of our lands. We preserve and our natural resources!
4. We demand self-determination.
1. To have the right to continue practicing our traditional system of cultivation as our ancestors did, with care and respect for our land.
2. We demand: No to the use of genetically modified seeds, chemical fertilizers, insecticides or polluting herbicides, that are the principal cause of the destruction of our land and the contamination of our aquifers.
3. We are tired of the injustice aimed at our traditional ways and customs. We say: No more false illusions, no more laws that prohibit the rational use of our forests and jungles.
4. We beg and insist the United Nations and the governments, especially Mexico: No to programs that are false solutions, like REDD, which is a threat, because it authorizes those who are polluting the earth and air to continue to pollute, causing global warming.
We who subscribed are youth and the Council of Elders, with wisdom and our feelings.
Eulogio Puc Tamay
Mauro Poot Dzib
Justino Canul Alamilla
José Guadalupe Poot Dzib
Gabriel Mazón Tun
Nelli Poot Rodríguez
Emilio Poot Dzib
Donato Chan y Moo
To download Declaration CLICK HERE
To see more photos CLICH HERE